29 March 1994
According to this law the public service comprises the creation, preparation and broadcasting of:
- two national television programmes,
- two national radio programmes,
- one radio and one television programme for the Italian and Hungarian ethnic communities respectively (hereinafter called minority programme),
- radio and television programmes for Slovene national minorities in the neighbouring countries,
- radio and television programmes of regional centres in Koper/Capodistria and Maribor.
In the programmes from the previous paragraph (hereinafter called: programmes of the RTV Slovenia) the RTV Slovenia assures:
- a variety of quality informative, cultural, educational and entertainment broadcasts,
- the creation and broadcasting of cultural and artistic works,
- broadcasts for Slovene national minorities in neighbouring countries, Slovene emigrants and migrant workers;
- the exercising of the constitutional rights of the Italian and Hungarian ethnic communities in the field of radio and television public information, connecting the ethnic communities with their nations of origin and the inclusion of cultural and other achievements of the Italian and Hungarian nations in national minority programmes;
- providing equal information on all events in all parts of Slovenia;
- providing information about the life and work of Slovene national minorities living in neighbouring countries;
- including non-commercial programmes of other radio and television organisations and other producers in the Republic of Slovenia and of quality foreign RTV programmes, especially from the countries of Europe;
- informing the public abroad about events and achievements in cultural and other fields in the Republic of Slovenia and affirmation of Slovene radio and television creativity abroad.
Providing information about events and representing of the interests of the regions of Slovenia, programmes for ethnic communities and programmes for Slovene national minorities is assured by RTV Slovenia, especially through units in Maribor, Koper/Capodistria and Lendava and through local programmes, "Murski val" in Murska Sobota, and "Koroški radio" in Slovenj Gradec.
RTV Slovenia assures the file recording of its programmes.
The national programme has to cover the territory inhabited by at least 90 percent of the inhabitants of the Republic of Slovenia, or 90 percent of the territory inhabited by members of the Italian and Hungarian ethnic communities when the national minority programme is concerned.
In-house productions by RTV Slovenia, co-productions and the commissioned production of informative, cultural, educational and entertainment programmes must comprise at least 50 % of the programme time of the programmes of RTV Slovenia, or at least two hours daily for the national minority radio programme or at least 30 minutes for the national minority television programme.
Commissioned productions are, according to this law, parts of the programmes of RTV Slovenia, or national minority programmes, prepared by other radio and television organisations in the Republic of Slovenia, free-lance producers and other natural persons and legal entities, registered for the creation of RTV programmes, audio, video, or film production (hereinafter called producers).
RTV Slovenia offers public competition for the creation of the programmes from the previous paragraph in which, in the framework of the adopted programme scheme and, at the suggestion of the Editor-in-Chief, determines the genre, form, quantity, programme and technical standards, the actual starting price for one minute of the programme and other conditions determined by the law and the statute.
Parts of the programmes of RTV Slovenia are submitted in accordance with the procedure determined by the Minister of Culture; the way and the procedure prescribed for the submission of the works that are financed by the budget of the Republic must be taken into consideration.
The national minority programme or part of this programme can be handed over to another RTV organisation or producer only with the consent of the Programme Council of the national minorities programme.
The amount of the commissioned production must include at least one fifth of the production from the first paragraph of this article.
The RTV Slovenia acquires the means for creating, preparing, broadcasting and diffusion of its programmes from:
- subscription payments for RTV Slovenia programmes (hereinafter called subscription);
- the activities determined in Articles 12 and 13 of this law;
- funds from the of state budget;
- advertising and publishing of other paid messages, sponsoring and from other sources.
The surplus of the income over outgoing expenses, acquired by the activity from Articles 12 and 13 of this law, is used by the RTV Slovenia to perform and develop activities from Article 3 of this law. The Council of RTV can decide to use the surplus for development and other needs of the activities from Articles 12 and 13 of this law.
The state budget supports:
- part of the national minorities programmes;
- part of RTV Slovenia programmes for Slovene national minorities in the neighbouring countries, for emigrants and foreign workers and for the foreign public;
- part of the costs for the establishment, maintenance and activation of the network for the broadcasting and diffusion of RTV Slovenia programmes and local non-commercial programmes;
- individual projects of cultural, scientific and general educational importance, proposed by the competent ministries.
The means raised by subscriptions are used for creating, preparing, broadcasting and diffusing RTV Slovenia programmes and for the maintenance and operating of the broadcasting network needed for the transmission and diffusion of local non-commercial RTV programmes.
The managing body of RTV Slovenia is the Council of RTV Slovenia consisting of 25 members:
l. five members are appointed by the Parliament, mostly respecting the proportional representatives of the members of parliamentary parties; however, the Parliament cannot appoint deputies and state officials to the Council of RTV Slovenia;
2. one member is appointed by the Italian national community;
3. one member is appointed by the Hungarian national community;
4. one member is appointed directly by:
- the University of Ljubljana and the University of Maribor,
- the Slovene Academy of Arts and Sciences,
- the Association of Slovene Film Producers,
- the Association of Slovene Writers and Association of Theatre Artists of Slovenia,
- the Association of Cultural Organisations of Slovenia,
- the Association of Journalists of Slovenia,
- the Council of the Organisation of Disabled Persons of Slovenia,
- the Union of Sports Organisations of Slovenia,
- the Association of Employers of Slovenia,
- the Cooperative Union and Farmers' Association,
- the Coordination Committee of Organisations and Parties of the Retired People of Slovenia,
- representative trade-unions as employee's organisations,
- the Youth Council of Slovenia and Union of the Friends of the Youth,
- religious communities in Slovenia.
Deputies, members of the National Council, state officials and members of the presidency of political parties, as well as persons employed in RTV Slovenia, or who used to be employed in RTV Slovenia in previous years, cannot be elected as members to the Council of RTV Slovenia.
5. three members are elected from those employed by RTV Slovenia by direct election in such a way that informative activity, cultural-artistic activity and technology are represented; however, in accordance with this Item, members appointed by the Council of RTV Slovenia cannot be elected members of the Council of RTV Slovenia.
The Council of RTV Slovenia:
- adopts the statute;
- appoints and dismisses the Director-General of RTV Slovenia, Director of radio programmes and Director of television programmes, Manager of the unit Transmitters and Communications and Directors of national minority programmes, Editors-in-Chief and one third of the members of programme councils for the national minority programme;
- determines the cost of subscription;
- adopts the financial plan and final account and decides on the use of a possible surplus of income over the outgoing expenses;
- determines programme standards and programme concepts in accordance with the law and international acts and annual programme schemes with a financial plan;
- determines the way of reporting and temporary or permanent discharging of a receiver and facilities and other special conditions for the payment of the subscription for these receivers;
- decides on other questions determined by the law and the statute.
The decision on matters from Items 1 to 6 of the previous paragraph and on other subjects that are so determined by the statute is deemed adopted when it is adopted by a majority of all the members of the Council of the RTV Slovenia.
The Government of the Republic of Slovenia gives its consent on the amount of the subscription and facilities and other special conditions.
The National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia gives consent to the statute of the RTV Slovenia and to amendments to the statute.
The Director General of RTV Slovenia is appointed by the Council of the RTV Slovenia on the basis of a public application. The National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia gives consent to the appointment of the Director General of RTV Slovenia.
The director of radio programmes and director of television programmes and manager of the organisational unit Transmitters and Communications are appointed by the Council of RTV Slovenia on the basis of public application following the recommendations of Director General.
The director of programmes from the previous paragraph cannot at the same time be the manager of an organisational unit.
The director of the national minority programmes is appointed by the Council of RTV Slovenia on the basis of public competition following the recommendations of Director General.
The editor-in-chief of programmes is appointed and relieved by the Council of RTV Slovenia on the basis of public competition on the proposal following the recommendations of the director of radio programmes or director of television programmes after the previous consent of representatives employed on the editorial board, the activities of which are led by the editor-in- chief.
The structure and method of appointing representatives and their authorities are defined by the statute.
The editor is appointed and dismissed by the director of the radio or television programme at the proposal of the competent editor-in-chief.
The director-general, director of radio programmes, director of television programmes, director of national minority programmes, managers of organisational units and editors-in-chief are appointed for a period of four years.
The Council of RTV Slovenia appoints programme councils for the national minority programmes (hereinafter called the Programme Councils).
Self-governing ethnic communities appoint to the Programme Council of the previous paragraph two thirds of the members for a period of four years, with a possibility of re-election.
The Programme Council gives consent to the appointment of the editor-in-chief of the national minority programme and to the amount and programme concept of this programme.
The Programme Council deals with the carrying out of the programme concept, complaints and suggestions of the viewers and listeners, makes suggestions to the Council of RTV Slovenia for the consideration of certain questions linked to the national minority programme, and performs other tasks determined by the statute.
RTV Slovenia must publish the positions of the Programme Council regarding the problems of national minority programmes.
The statute of RTV Slovenia determines in particular: the organisation of the public institution, bodies and their authorities, conditions for the appointment and relieving of duty of the director-general, director of radio programmes, director of television programmes, directors of national minority programmes, managers of organisational units and editors-in-chief, the number and field-of-work of editors-in-chief and editors, the number of programme councils for national minority programmes and their members, and other questions that are important for the activities and operation of the institution.
The function of the director-general after the enforcement of this law is performed by the present director-general, appointed in accordance with the provisions of the Law on RTV Slovenia (Official Gazette RS, no. 14/90, 24/90, 43/90).
The Council of RTV Slovenia must, regardless of the provisions from the previous paragraph, within 30 days after its constitution, confirm the appointment of the present director-general. If the Council of RTV Slovenia does not confirm the appointment by a majority of votes it has to officially announce a vacancy for director-general within 10 days.
The Council of RTV Slovenia must officially announce a vacancy for the director of television programmes and directors of national minority programmes within 30 days after its constitution.
Until the director of programmes from the previous paragraph is elected, editors-in-chief of radio or television programmes respectively hold this position.
The statute of RTV Slovenia is to be coordinated with the provisions of this law within 60 days after the constitution of the Council of RTV Slovenia.
Source: Unofficial translation