The Republic of Latvia
Adopted on 27 August 1998
This Law regulates the operation of a uniform residents' registration system - The Residents' Register (hereafter the Register) - in the territory of Latvia and establishes the procedure by which the data are submitted to the Citizenship and Migration Matters Department (hereafter the Department) and further made use of.
The main task of the Register is to ensure registration of Latvia's citizens and non-citizens as well as foreign citizens with residence permits in Latvia, stateless persons and refugees by entering and updating the information in the Register in the order set by law.
(1) Entering data in the Register means completing the standard primary registration form.
(2) Updating means amending the data contained in the Register by indicating the date when the change is made, its legal basis and the number of the document certifying the amendments, the date of issue, the issuing state and the issuing authority.
(1) It is the responsibility of the Department official who is entering data on a person to verify the accuracy of these data with the documents which bear legal force in Latvia and certify these data.
(2) The person submitting the data for the primary registration form confirms them with his/her signature.
(3) The accuracy of the data concerning a person under 16 as well as a person who is within the trusteeship or guardianship is confirmed by this person's legal representative.
Entries in the Register are done in the Latvian language except for the names, surnames and addresses of foreign citizens, stateless persons and refugees which are written in Latin characters in accordance with their travel documents issued by a foreign country.
(1) The following information on a person shall be entered in the Register
1) identity number;
4) maiden name (previous name);
5) date of birth;
6) place of birth;
8) legal bond with the state;
10) registered address in Latvia;
11) address of a foreign place of residence;
12) data on the passport or another personal identification document issued as a substitute of a passport in the order prescribed by the legal acts:
13) information on birth registration:
14) information on the birth certificate;
15) information on the residence permit in Latvia:
16) date of the person's arrival in Latvia and the country from which the person has arrived if the person is not a Latvian citizen or non-citizen;
17) information on marital status:
18) information on the latest spouse;
19) information on the registration of marriage, divorce or invalidity of marriage:
20) information on the document certifying the registration of the marriage, the discharge of the marriage or the declaration of its being void;
21) information on children under 16,
22) information on father and mother,
23) information on a person's legal incapacity or capacity:
24) information on emigration from Latvia:
25) information on a person missing:
26) information on expulsion from Latvia:
27) information on a person's death:
28) information on death registration:
29) information on the document certifying a person's death:
(2) The legal bond between a person and the state mentioned in the first Paragraph of this article is a person's affiliation with the state which has issued or will issue in the order set by the state a passport or another personal identification document. In terms of this Law the forms of legal bond between a person and the state are:
3) stateless person;
(3) Information to be entered in the Register on a person's father and mother in case information on them is missing in the Register is:
4) date of birth;
6) legal bond with the state;
7) date of death.
The following information shall not be included in the Register:
1) race or skin colour;
2) religious conviction or affiliation with a confession;
3) political conviction or affiliation with a political party or movement as well as information on political views;
4) sexual orientation or illness;
5) other information not required in Article 10 of this Law.
The President of State G.Ulmanis
Riga, 10 September 1998
Source: Unofficial translation