BORIS L. TSILEVICH
||Born:||1956, Daugavpils, Latvia|
|Basic education:||Latvian State University, Riga: Department of
Physics & Mathematics, 1978|
Post-graduate course on Theoretical & Mathematical Physics, 1981
M.Sci. in Physics, 1992
||Member of Saeima (Parliament) of the Republic of Latvia, elected in 1998, re-elected in 2002|
Research consultant, Center for Educational and Social Research "Baltic Insight", 1998
Director, Center for Educational and Social Research "Baltic Insight", 1995-1998
Lecturer, Baltic Russian University (course "Fundamentals of Human Rights"), 1995-1998
Columnist of the "SM-Today" newspaper, 1991-1998
Head of Social Research Department, "Insight" Ltd, 1991-1995
Institute of Mathematics & Computer Science of the University of Latvia, Department of Computer-Aided Education, researcher, 1988-1991
Institute of Micro-Equipment ,"Alfa" (Riga), researcher, 1982-1988
Relevant public activities:
Member of Riga City council, 1997-1998
Member of the Consultative Council on Minorities of the President of Latvia, since 1996
Adviser on human rights and ethnic relations to the parliamentary faction "Concord", 1993-1998
Member of Public Consultative Council of the Prime Minister of Latvia (inter-ethnic relations
and human rights), 1990-1992
Adviser to Director of the Latvian Department on Nationalities, 1991-1992
Member of Union of Journalists of Latvia (1992)
Member of Canada-based International Research Group "Forum Eastern Europe" (since 1995)
Member of International Peace Research Association (IPRA, since 1994)
Moderator of Internet discussion list MINELRES - minority human rights and related problems
of the transition period in Central Eastern Europe (since 1997)
Member of Executive Secretariat of the Consortium of Minority Resources (COMIR, since 2000)
Member of Editorial Board of the UNESCO MOST Journal on Multicultural Societies (since 2002)
Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (since 1999): Committee on Migration,
Refugees and Demography, Monitoring Committee, Sub-Committee on Refugees (vice-chairman, 2002),
Sub-Committee on Human Rights, Sub-Committee on the Rights of Minorities (chairman, 2005), Sub-Committee on Elections of Judges to the European Court of
Training and vocational education:
- Training Seminar on Conflict Resolution, organised by UN University, "International Alert" and Institute of Ethnology & Anthropology, Russian Academy of Science. Russia, October-November 1992
- Training Seminar "The Role of Media in Ethnic Conflict Resolution", Moscow, June 1993
- Program "Research and Training for Reform" administered by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. The subject was "Canadian Experience of Ethnic Conflict Management and Possibilities of Its Application in Latvia". Ottawa-Toronto-Victoria, January - February 1994
- 15th Annual International Human Rights Training Program of the Canadian Human Rights Foundation. Montreal, July 1994
- Regional training seminar on minority rights in Central & Eastern Europe, Bratislava, May 1995
- Regional training seminar on migration and refugees issues, Moscow, November 1996
Main fields of interest/activities:
Human/minority rights, conflict management (with emphasis on inter-ethnic conflicts), nation-building in multiethnic societies, usage of computers by human rights practitioners.
Languages: Russian, Latvian, English
- Ситуация и основные тенденции в русскоязычном образовании в Латвии (Situation and Main Trends in Russian-Language Education in Latvia). Report prepared by request of the Council of Ministers of Latvia, 1991 (supervisor of the project)
- Citizenship Issue and Language Legislation in Today's Latvia: Tools for Implementation of Ethnic Nation-State Concept. Papers of the seminar "Citizenship and Language Legislation of the Newly Independent States of Europe", Copenhagen, 1993.
- Время жестких решений (Time of Harsh Decisions). Collection of articles. Riga: "Insight", 1993, 303 p.
- Difference in Status and Rights Between Citizens and Permanent Residents (Non-citizens) of Latvia (with A.Ruchkovsky). Promoting Human Rights and Civil Society in Central and Eastern Europe: Newsletters of International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights, Vienna, No.1, April 1994, pp.13-17.
- Этнополитический конфликт в пост-советском пространстве: Балтийский вариант (Ethnopolitical Conflict in the Post-Soviet space: the Baltic Variant). In: Social Conflicts: Expertise, Forecasting, Technologies of Resolution. Issue 7. Management of Social Conflicts: Theoretical and Applied Aspects. Moscow: Center of Conflict Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, 1994, pp.79-92
- Ethnic Conflict in the Baltic states: the Case of Latvia (with M.Opalski and P.Dutkiewicz). Kingston: Royal Military College, 1994, 46 p.
- High Commissioner and Permanent Mission: The CSCE at work in the Latvian(-Russian) Conflict on Citizenship and Human Rights. Kiel: Projektverbund Friedenswissenschaften Kiel am der
Christian-Albrechts-Universitat, PFK-texte, 1995, No.34,. 14 p.
- Ethnic Minority Rights in Central Eastern Europe (with S.Lodzinski and S.Mihalikova). Ottawa: Canadian Human Rights Foundation & Forum Eastern Europe, 1995, 66 p.
- Peaceful offensive in Eastern Europe. Speaking about Rights - Canadian Human Rights Foundation Quarterly Newsletter, Montreal, vol.X No.3, 1995.
- The Situation of Ethnic Minorities in Latvia. In: Magda Opalski and Piotr Dutkiewicz (eds), Ethnic Minority Rights in Central Eastern Europe. Ottawa: Canadian Human Rights Foundation & Forum Eastern Europe , 1996, pp.51-61.
- Nepilsoòi un îpaðumtiesîbas Latvijas pilsçtas. (Noncitizens and Ownership in Urban Areas of Latvia)."Zemes reforma Latvijas pilsçtâs", Zemes Reformas Vçstnesis. (Land Reform in Urban Areas of Latvia). Rîga: ES-PHARE Latvia, 1997, pp.61-62.
- Латвия: Модель этнополитического мониторинга (Latvia: Model of ethnopolitical monitoring, with A.Antane). Moscow: Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology of Russian Academy of Science, 1997, 123 p.
- Attitude Towards Migrants and the Impact of Media in Latvia. In: Refugees and Migration in Central and Eastern Europe. Montreal: Canadian Human Rights Foundation, 1997, pp.21-25.
- Patterns of Nation-Building and Political Integration in a Bifurcated post-Communist State: Ethnic Aspect of Parliamentary Elections in Latvia (with Paal Kolstoe), East European Politics and Societies, 1997, vol.11, No.2, pp.366-391.
- Civil Society and Nationalism in Latvia. In: Lars Nyholm (ed.). OSCE: A Need for Cooperation. Towards the OSCE's Common and Comprehensive Security Model for Europe for the Twenty-First Century. Copenhagen: Danish UN Association, 1997, pp.86-98.
- The Problem of Citizenship in Latvia (with A.Antane). In: Magda Opalski (ed), Managing Diversity in Plural Societies: Minorities, Migration and Nation-Building in Post-Communits Europe. Ottawa: Forum Eastern Europe, 1998, pp.33-50.
- Семь лет спустя: Проблемы и перспективы интеграции общества Латвии (Seven years passed: Problems and prospects for the integration of Latvia's ociety). In : G.Vitkovskaya (ed.): Проблемы становления институтов гражданства в постсоветских государствах (Problems of establishment of the citizenship institutes in the post-Sviet states). Moscow: Moscow Carnegie
Center, 1998, pp.115-137.
- Judicial, legislative and educational approaches to overcome discrimination in the Baltic countries. The New Yalta: Commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the Declaration of Human Rights in RBEC region. New York: Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS of the UN Development Programme, 1998, pp.127-138.
- Альтернатива (Alternative). Collection of articles. Riga: "Insight", 1998, 416 p.
"Russians" in the Newly Independent States: A bibliography on conflicts and preventive diplomacy (with Hanne-Margret Birchenbach). Kiel: Schleswig-Holsteiniches Institut fur Friedenswissenschaften am der Christian-Albrechts-Universitat, SCHIFF-texte, special issue. 1998, 80 p.
- Tvilsom latvisk integreringspolitikk. Oslo: Mennesker og rettigheter, 1998, Argang 16, Nr.3, pp.257-268.
- Valoda un izglitiba integracijas procesa (Language and education in the process
of integration). In: Nacionalas attiecibas un nacionala politika Latvija
(Ethnic relations and ethnopolitics in Latvia). XIX Conference of the Latvian
Union of Intelligentsia. Riga, 1998, pp.42-48
- Nation-building and ethnic integration in Latvia (with A.Antane).
In: P.Kolsto (ed.): Nation-Building and Ethnic Integration in Post-Soviet
Societies: An Investigation of Latvia and Kazakhstan. Boulder, Colorado:
Westview Press, 1999, pp.63-152
Democratic Challenge in the Baltics. Speaking about Rights -
Canadian Human Rights Foundation Newsletter, Montreal, vol.XIV, No.2, 1999, pp.8-9
A view of a Parliamentarian on the Role of Minority Issues in the Process Towards
European Integration. Seminar on "The Protection and Participation of National Minorities
as a Condition for Successful European Integration", Predeal, Romania, 12-13 May, 2000
- Представительство и участие как механизмы обеспечения идентичности
(Representation and participation as the tools to ensure the right to identity).
In: N.Girenko (ed), Individual and collective rights of ethnic minorities under the
conditions of globalization. St Petersburg: Citizens' Watch, 2000, pp.85-95
- Значение интеграции общества во внешней и внутренней политике Латвии
(The role of the integration of society in domestic and foreign policies of Latvia).
In: S.Oznobishchev and I.Yurgens (eds), Rossija-Baltija. Dokladi SVOP. Materiali
konferentsij (Russia and the Baltics. Reports of the Council of Foreign and Defense
Policy. Conferences' materials). Moscow: Council of Foreign and Defense Policy, 2001,
- Mazakumgrupu (minoritasu) integracijas aspekti Latvija (The aspects of integration
of minority groups in Latvia) (with I.Ziemele, A.Antane, I.Mezs, N.Muiznieks). Riga:
University of Latvia, Institute of Human Rights, 2001, 106 p.
EU Enlargement and the Protection of National Minorities:
Opportunities, Myths, and Prospects. EU Accession Monitoring Program featured article,
- New Democracies in the Old World: Remarks on Will Kymlicka’s Approach to
Nation-building in Post-Communist Europe. In: Will Kymlicka and Magda Opalski (eds),
Can Liberal Pluralism be Exported? Western Political Theory and Ethnic Relations in Eastern
Europe. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001, pp.154-170
Development of the Language Legislation in the Baltic States. MOST Journal on Multicultural
Societies, Vol. 3, No. 2, UNESCO, 2001
Many Faces of the Monster (with T.Bogushevich). Understanding Xenophobia in Eastern Europe.
Workshop Papers. Budapest: Central European University, June 21-22, 2002
Minority Rights: Who Is the Right-Holder?. In: V.Poleshchuk (ed.), The Baltic Dilemmas:
Seminar Presentations on Ethnic Policies. Tallinn: Legal Information Centre for Human Rights,
- Latvija "trisatrumu Eiropa" (Latvia in "Three Speed Europe") (with T.Bogushevich).
In: A.Kleckins (ed.), Dienas Kartiba Latvijai - 2004 (Agenda for Latvia - 2004). Riga: The
Baltic Forum, 2003. pp.219-225
The Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities within the context of
the Council of Europe. Conference to mark the 5th anniversary of the entry into force of
the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities, Strasbourg, 30-31 October
- Этническое доминирование в Латвии. Проблемы и перспективы (Ethnic Domination in Latvia.
Problems and Perspectives). In: V.Gushins (ed), Latvia: On the Way to Democracy.
Riga: University of Latvia and Baltic Russian Institute, 2004, pp.83-93
- The Baltic States before EU Accession: Recent Developments in Minority Protection (with
V.Poleshchuk). European Yearbook of Minority Issues, Vol.2, 2002/3. European Academy & European
Centre for Minority Issues. Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2004, pp.283-305.
- Modern nation-state and European standards of minority rights. In: State consolidation and
national identity. Venice Commission. Collection: Science and technique of democracy, No.38.
Council of Europe Publishing, 2005, pp.15-25.
- How to prepare ratification in practice: Position of the Parliamentary Assembly.
In: Non-discrimination: a human right. Seminar marking the entry into force of Protocol No.12 to the
European Convention on Human Rights. Strasbourg, 11 October 2005. Proceedings.
Council of Europe Publishing, 2006, pp.73-77.
Status of international protection of national minorities: 'where do we stand'?
International legal guarantees for the protection of national minorities and problems of their
implementation with special focus on minority education.
Strasbourg, 18 October 2006
Национальное строительство и этническое доминирование в Латвии
(Nation Building and Ethnic Domination in Latvia). Вестник Института Кеннана в России, вып.11,
Москва, 2007 (Vestnik of the Kennan Institute in Russia, issue 11, Moscow, 2007)
- Language Legislation in the Baltic States. In: Matthias Koenig and Paul De Guchteneire (eds),
Democracy and Human Rights in Multicultural Societies. UNESCO Publishing/Ashgate, 2007, pp.167-184
Main reports to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
Restrictions on asylum in the member states of the Council of Europe and
the European Union. Doc. 8598. Report on behalf of the Committee on Migration, Refugees
and Demography. 1999, 16 p.
The propiska system applied to migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in Council
of Europe member states: effects and remedies. Doc. 9262. Report on behalf of the
Committee on Migration, Refugees and Demography. 2001, 24 p.
Legal situation of the Roma in Europe. Doc. 9417. Opinion on behalf of the
Committee on Migration, Refugees and Demography. 2002, 9 p.
Situation of refugees and internally displaced persons in the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Doc. 9479. Report on behalf of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Demography.
2002, 22 p.
Rights of national minorities.
Doc. 9862. Report on behalf of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights.
2003, 22 p.
Dutch-speakers’ right to health-care in Brussels and the surrounding Dutch-speaking municipalities.
Doc. 10009. Opinion of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights on the petition.
2003, 24 p.
Language problems in access to public health care in the Brussels-Capital region in Belgium.
Doc. 10680. Opinion on behalf of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights.
2005, 4 p.
Refugees and displaced persons in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia.
Doc. 10835. Report on behalf of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Population.
2006, 24 p.
Ratification of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities by the member states of the Council of Europe.
Doc. 10961. Report on behalf of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights.
2006, 18 p.
The 2003 guidelines on the use of minority languages in the broadcast media and the Council of Europe standards: need to enhance cooperation and synergy with the OSCE.
Doc. 11030. Report on behalf of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights.
2006, 20 p.